Sunday 20 November 2016

Soundcloud Sunday : Eric Frisch

In my almost mourning state, I came across a video and band which reminded me of the two bands I championed in 2013. With a sound similar to Two Door Cinema Club and group, not-so-serious videos like Vampire Weekend, Eric Frisch just may have became my new favourite musician.

 

 

 Recently Frisch released his first self-produced full-length album ‘Goodbye Birdcage’, which showcases his talent as a writer and singer. 

Performing in venues like the Bowery Electric and the studio at Webster Hall, the acclaimed indie-pop Toronto native is being compared to the likes of Real Estate, Foxygen and Two Door Cinema Club.


One of my favourite tracks off the album is ‘The Light Ahead.’ The Video for this track immediately reminded me of Vampire Weekends ‘Cousins’, where no one takes themselves too seriously. Talking about track Frisch says The Light Ahead is just a fun summer song. We had a really great time shooting the music video for it! I had the idea to just do a dance in front of a wall with a bunch of my friends.”





The album is something special. Written in just over a year, self-recorded and self-produced, Frisch talks of his experience recording in New York.

I used two microphones to record the entire album! A Shure-SM57 and a little condenser mic, and I think the sound is pretty great. I recorded a lot of it in my rehearsal space in New York City, which is why you'll hear sirens at the beginning of "In the Morning Light," they just simply passed by as I was recording it and I really liked it so I kept it in there.”

As someone who credits his parents with introducing him to the ‘right music’, Frisch recalls writing the main chorus for his track ‘Find My Way Back Home’ at age 17 and reworked it into a song for this album.





I have a huge love for this album. It's not a typical but it's memorable, enjoyable and definitely a conversation starter. This is just the start for Frisch, and I cannot wait to see what is coming next.




You can check out Frisch and his tracks below :