Thursday 24 November 2016

FØNX

With a debut single as strong as ‘Hit Me Hard’, airplay on Radio 1 and Radio 6, BBC Introducing backing and performances at LeeFest, Barn on the Farm and Isle of Wright, I’m genuinely surprised more people aren’t talking about FØNX.

 

Two days before his BBC Introducing South set, I caught up with FØNX to talk about his new single, inspiration and the problems the music industry faces online.




SBLM - For the people who have never heard of you before, can you explain who you are ?

FØNX - I’m FØNX and I'm an artist, songwriter and producer. I sing and play the guitar, mainly electric guitar these days.

SBLM - I am the worst at trying to relate music to other music, and so what would you say your musical style is and what musicians do you think are similar to yourself?

FØNX - The core of my music is RnB & Pop but there are influences of jazz, soul, rock and electronic music in there.
 I’m not actually sure who I’d say I'm similar to, but I’m influenced by bands and artists from Frank Ocean, Tame Impala and Kendrick Lamar to John Mayer, George Benson and D’Angelo…so a real mix!



SBLM - You've got lots of influences but who would you say is your 'hero' or 'idol' in music ?

FØNX - My biggest music hero is probably Eminem. He’s a genius. I used to love his music as a kid and was so inspired by him and his songs. That really got me into writing and starting to produce with samples and chopping up backing tracks at a young age. He’s definitely one of those people that if I ever had chance to meet, I know I would be completely star struck!

SBLM - I love how people can define their music inspirations and idols whilst I can't. I've tried and I'm hopeless. Something I do know for sure is the first album I bought myself, which was Biffy Clyro' Puzzle. Do you know the first album you bought ?


FØNX - Funnily enough it was Encore by Eminem.

SBLM - So there's a bit of a pattern emerging. Another thing I know for definite was my first gig, Stepps at age five. What was the first gig you ever went to ?

FØNX - The earliest gig I can remember going to was seeing Pat Matheny with my Dad on 'The Way Up’ Tour. Probably not the first gig most kids would go to but my Dad's a huge fan and got me into his music


SBLM - In all honesty I was not expecting that one. Moving on from other people's music and on to your own, what has been the best show you've played to do date and why ?

FØNX - The best show I’ve ever played was probably earlier this year at 'The Old Blue Last' in London. It was one of those gigs where we probably didn’t have much space on stage or much of a soundcheck so we just went for it and it ended up being one of the most fun gigs we’d played.

SBLM - I always ask people this next question because I never get two responses the same. If you were given the choice of any festival, where would you like to headline and who would you want to headline alongside ?

FØNX - Glastonbury with Kendrick Lamar or, a throwback, with Earth, Wind and Fire.


SBLM - You mentioned your gig at The Old Blue Last in London earlier this year. Have you got any upcoming dates or tracks to round off 2016 ?

FØNX - I’ve recently been in the studio with producer Tommaso Colliva working on some new songs. So there will definitely be some new singles coming out in the New Year and maybe even a music video. I’ve just released my debut single ‘Hit Me Hard’ which is out now everywhere.
I’m playing some of these new songs including the single live on BBC Introducing South with the full band next Saturday 26th November, so tune in.

SBLM - Cannot wait for Saturday to hear these tracks live. BBC Introducing is something  I support fully. It is, in my opinion, one of the best ways for Brittish musicians to get their music out there and noticed, especially right now in the booming industry. However, we all know the music industry isn't perfect and right now it's struggling whilst flourishing.  If there was one thing you could change in the music industry, what would it be ?

FØNX - It would be the online world of music. I feel like it really needs to be sorted out properly, eventually so artists and songwriters are paid properly for all their effort.

SBLM - A problem many musicians know all too well. FØNX thank you for you so much for your time. To finish things off, who is your favourite band, album and track at the moment?


FØNX - I’m loving Rejjie Snow right now, everything he’s putting out is great! Favourite song right know would be Tame Impala 'The Less I Know The Better' and favourite album at the moment would be Bon Iver '22, A Million.'




Recently working with Grammy Award-Winning Producer Tommaso Colliva (Muse), FØNX released his debut single, Hit Me Hard, earlier this year. It is available pretty much everywhere (linked below) and be sure to tune into BBC Introducing Sussex or Surrey (South) on Saturday the 26th at 8pm.





If you're wanting to catch FØNX live before this year is out, check out his site here. If you're lucky enough to be in London, you've got a Sofar Session very soon and I am seriously jealous I cannot make it. It'll be a good one for sure.



Header Image taken by Emily Nelson - http://www.emilyelizabeth.us/