Sunday 28 August 2016

Reading And Leeds 2016

 

 When does summer end ? For me, its the end of Reading and Leeds.

 

Reading And Leeds 2016 Text With Offical Colour


Scottish schools go back in August. Its always mid August. The rest of the UK seem to return an eternity later. The thought of 'exam prep' was almost too much to bare. One of the few things keeping me from meltdown in August, is the annual promise of Reading and Leeds.

For the last few years I've wrote about the line ups and felt a mixture of excitement and sadness watching the festivals. 2016, for me, is another one of those years. So far I have never been to neither festival. (I've never been to any festival but that's for another post.) That doesn't stop me from loving the festival from the somewhat comfort of home.

Once again this years line up does not fail to make me jealous. If your going to either festival enjoy, I wish it was me and if your not going, this post will only probably worsen your 'non-attendee' pain as I run through the full three-day weekend line up for both festivals sharing some of my favourite 'must see' acts throughout.



The Main Stage


If I was to go to Glastonbury or T In The Park, you'd find me at the BBC Introducing stage all weekend. This wouldn't be the case for me going to Reading and Leeds. Mainly because the headline acts on the main stage are some of my absolute favourites.

What I like about this years main stage line up is, out of all the acts playing on the stage across the three dates, I love nearly all of the acts. From Frank Turner and The Sleeping Souls to Fall Out Boy, Foals, The Vaccines, CHVCHES, State Champs and Biffy Clyro.




There is one main stage act I feel proud of in a strange way. Nothing But Thieves. Two years ago the Southend-On-Sea five piece supported Twin Atlantic on their UK tour. After months of following the band on social media and in love with their limited previous releases, I finally (accidentally) saw them live. Eight months later the band returned to Glasgow supporting Young Guns on their UK tour. Within eight months the band seemed to have perfected their act and Masons vocals stunned the unsuspecting crowd during 'If I Get High'. Earlier this year the band supported Muse on their 'Drones World Tour', where in-between times embarked on their own UK tour. They are one of these bands I have watched sort of grow up and grow into the festival headliners they are this weekend. 





NME / Radio One Stage

Reading and Leeds for me is the ultimate UK festival. Although it is no where near where I live, I'd happily endure the 6 hour drive (just under 400 miles) just to go to Reading. I'd happily put myself through it all annually just for this stage. It is where I would be at my happiest.

Some huge, huge bands are playing this year on this stage. A few of which surprised me, considering some of them headlined other festivals.

There's The 1975, Twenty One Pilots, The Neighbourhood and even Mura Massa who gave us the huge track 'What If I Go ?' earlier this year.




Alongside Cage The Elephant, Two Door Cinema Club who returned earlier this summer with 'Are We Ready ? (Wreck)', Fatherson, The Wombats, Basement, Half Moon Run, Deaf Havana, Tonight Alive and a host of bands who've just released their debut albums this year such as Madrid's indie four piece Hinds, BBC's Sound of 2016 Jack Garratt and Spring King with one of the latest debut' 'Tell Me If You Like To'.

The Lock Up Stage features Good Charlotte, Modern Baseball, ROAM, Beach Slang and Waterparks whilst The Pit's line up includes Creeper, Trash Boat, Ghost Town, Milk Teeth and Dinosaur Pile Up.



The Festival Republic Stage

Again this stages line up surprised me slightly. Maximo Park and Pulled Apart By Horses play alongside VANT, The Hunna who' debut album is due to be released tomorrow, Tuff Love, Beach Baby, Clean Cut Kid, The Vyrll Society, Blaenavon and The Sherlocks, who still remain unsigned whilst near selling out their UK tour this September and drawing huge crowds at every festival they play.





BBC Introducing Stage

If you've ever read this blog you will know my love for BBC Introducing. As always this stage is packed with artists including two bands I cannot get enough of. High Tyde and Fronteers. I've mentioned both before on this blog and if you have me on twitter you will have saw my numerous tweets about them. High Tyde are definitely one of my favourite 'summer' bands. The young indie quartet have played Y Not, Broadmasters, Reading, have toured with Young Kato, Peace, Little Comets and this weekend they play at Reading and Leeds. Then there's Fronteers. They've toured with Blossoms, Pretty Vicious (my absolute favourites) and on Saturday (27th) they take on Reading and do it all over again in Leeds on Sunday (28th).




You can catch full sets and highlights from the weekend on Radio One and on the BBC Iplayer.