Wednesday 6 April 2016

JAKL Interview

 

 

 Every person I know will be fed up of me talking about this song. For a month it dominated my play lists. It will always be one of my favourites and it is a song I always fall back on. With a dark piano sound, with hints of electronic music, tainted with loss, love and hurt, I fell in love with JAKL's stunning debut single 'The Jackal' as soon as it was released. Seven months later I talk with JAKL in the hope he can explain some things better than me.








SBLM - For the people just finding your music here and now, who are you ?

"My name is JAKL I come from London via Australia."



SBLM - The name JAKL is pretty unusual. Why did you pick it to be your musician/stage name ? 
"The name JAKL actually comes from the song 'The Jackal'. I had written it and I felt so strongly about it that I wanted to use it as a marker, and continue to try and write songs that explored that type of emotion. So I called myself JAKL."



 
SBLM - This, for me, is my 'must ask' question. What's next for JAKL and is it any time soon ? I've been surviving for seven months on one release, please, please tell me there is some sort of follow up.
 
"The next release is coming out late Spring. That will be a single with a B side. I've been in the studio over the last week putting the finishing touches to it. In terms of the direction of JAKL, I'm keen to create a little JAKL world with the artwork, videos and live shows all sharing the same vision. There's talk of some exciting support tours and we'll be playing a few festivals too. I'll take it as it comes."




SBLM - It is nearing festival season again which brings me on to something I'm pretty excited to bring up, Glastonbury. What was it like for you last year to play at the legendary festival ? Was that your favourite show or does something else top it off ?

"Playing Glastonbury last summer was amazing. It was something I've always wanted to do - and it was humbling to be part of such a incredible event, But I have to say the last headline show at the St Pancras Old Church was my favourite. Seeing tickets with JAKL written on them and ending up selling out was something I won't forget."



SBLM -Your music is different in a good way and I'm sure it is incredible live. Your on my sort of 'bucket list' of musicians I want to see live. Who would you like to play alongside or tour with if you were given the choice of anybody ?

"I'd love to have been around to tour with Jeff Buckley or John Martyn, but seeing as I missed the boat with that."




SBLM - I still cannot believe you agreed to do this for me, for them (the readers), so thank you for that. Quickly, what would you like to say to your fans and the people who may have just discovered you through this post ?

"I'd like to say thank you. Over the last year I've really enjoyed the reaction of people discovering JAKL. I can't wait to share more music and I hope people continue to enjoy it."

 


Follow JAKL :