Friday 29 April 2016

Finally, We Can Own Cave Song

Crowned as my Sound of 2016, my Welsh favourites, Pretty Vicious, have finally released the Cave Song as part of their new EP.

 




A new EP from a small Welsh band may not dominate social media or be a news headline, however it is something to get excited about. 

 

In 2014 Pretty Vicious uploaded Cave Song to Soundcloud and ever since many people, including myself, have wanted to own it. It was never put on Itunes, something which I thought would quickly change when 'Its Always There' was released digitally and physically. Every single since has been purchasable through Itunes, Google Play and every other online music site. Every single release apart from Cave Song. For two years we were left streaming the track which many of us initially found the band through.




Now, finally, we can own Cave Song. 

The track was released as part of the 'Cave Song EP' which came out this morning and I love it. The EP itself has a few different sounds on it, different from the bands other released tracks, which I didn't expect at first but they're great. It shows the bands different styles and sounds within their collective sound and in a way its seems to be testing the boundaries of what fans like and what we can maybe expect from the band in the future.

The biggest surprise for me on the EP was 'Down My Way' which is my favourite newest track, mainly because it is different from the rest. 'Its Always There', 'Are You Ready For Me', 'National Plastics', all the previous releases have a similar sound and then there is this track, the first of the new EP, the follow up to everything released so far and it seems so different, and that’s why I love it.




Following on from 'Down My Way' is 'Black and Blue' which has a completely different sound again, to start with. I adore the track and it has so many similarities to other artists and songs which can never be a bad thing.



The track 'Ambien', for me shows where other writers and reviewers get their Oasis links from. Originally I could never find it with any Pretty Vicious release, whilst the early Arctic Monkeys references were more obvious to me.




Then, after 'Ambien', there's 'Cave Song'.




I could not predict what this EP would sound like and I'm glad of it, because it made the wait more exciting and the release was like a new discovery. 

Even if you have no idea who I am talking about, please go check them out and at least listen to the EP. All the bands social media links are below along with links to the EP, tour tickets and there's a link to my post from last year where I crowned them as my Sound Of 2016, a statement I have never stood by more.