Wednesday 14 September 2016

Crowded Stages and Chaos




'Sound of 2016'. The first time I put my neck on the line for a few bands I, at the time, thought would go far in the year ahead. Call them predictions if you will. 

 

I thought about my 'Sound of 2016' posts for a long time. As a small blog I couldn't post about 100 bands and musicians and keep it interesting. I didn't have the time nor resources compared to the BBC or NME who produced their 2016 lists with special photoshoots and interviews. I settled on three bands. Neon Waltz, Pretty Vicious and The Sherlocks. The latter two, this year, have blown me away. Sell out UK tours, huge festival sets, a summer full of crowded stages and chaos erupting at every chorus.

Why, eight months since my 'Sound of 2016' posts am I talking about Pretty Vicious and The Sherlocks ?

For two reasons. First of all, they are incredible bands who I adore. You may never have heard of them but these are the bands keeping indie alternative music alive in the UK. These are the bands who play in small rooms across the country to crowds of half drunk teenagers and music fanatics. The bands who will play without crowd barriers and don't care about the tent limits at Reading and Leeds, so long as people can hear their music live.

Secondly, because both are touring this month. The Sherlocks huge UK tour started on the 2nd in Brighton's Concorde 2 with Pretty Vicious' tour starting properly in 3 days in Cardiff (which is sold out).




In the midst of freshers weeks and the end of summer, these tours are perfect whether your celebrating or trying to hold on to those fleeting summer festival moments.  




I am incredibly, incredibly proud of both bands. Feeling a bit like a mother hen, it is scary but exciting for me to be able to watch these bands grow. At one point they'll hit a point, the very peak of their careers and for these two bands that moment won't be short of selling out stadiums and headlining the worlds biggest festivals. Its the reason I blog, its what I love, being able to watch others succeed and become nothing short of incredible live acts.

In terms of new music, The Sherlocks newest track 'Will You Be There' was played first by Steve Lamacq on BBC 6 music tonight, whilst Pretty Vicious have finished recording their debut album. No doubt new music will be played throughout both tours, which is another incentive for you to go (not that you need an excuse to go).
  



I've said it before and I still stand by it, 'they have something not all bands have.' 'With anthemic chourus' and a sound that could inspire a generation' Pretty Vicious and The Sherlocks will be your next 'big' favourite bands.