Tuesday 31 January 2017

Sound Of 2017

2017 looks to be the year of new music. Small UK bands are about to break through everywhere, festivals are being headlined by last year's favourites and some of our old favourites are back with brand new music.

 

https://open.spotify.com/user/shybutlovesmusic/playlist/79JuLb605YD45UyM4GYwU8

Every year I try to make my 'Sound of (year)' a bit different from the year before. Rather than telling you who to listen to and who to love, I gave you a playlist and a month to find your favourites for yourself.  Of course, I kept quiet about some of my absolute favourites and who I would crown my sound of 2017, yet some of you still guessed and found them.


The very first track on my playlist was Mixed Signals by Night Cafe. I love this track and I love this band.




Hailing from Liverpool, the band ended last year with their first headline UK tour and supporting Pale Waves. This year, they're already set to support Sundara Karama on their huge UK tour and supporting Blaenavon on half of their 'That's Your Lot' album tour.




If you caught the Hunna on tour last year, or religiously listen to Huw Stephens on BBC Radio One, you will have heard this band's tracks.

The reason I love this band is their effortless indie, sort-of stripped back sound, which is difficult to find fault in. There are a lot of people comparing this band with Sundara Karma and Viola Beach, two other incredible bands. If you are into bands like Cape Cub, Sundara Karma, Viola Beach, High Tide, Magic Gang, and even if your not, go listen to this band.

At the start of every year, you can see certain musicians emerging, who are ready to take on the festival season and year ahead.  They may be small for now, but no one is going to have a bigger next few years than this band.


The next track is another track I adore. It's from the incredible Hippo Campus and it's 'Boyish', the lead single from the band's debut album 'Landmark' which comes out in just over three weeks. Released in September last year, the track was our first hint of new music on the way.






If the bands first two EP's (South and Bashful Creatures) are anything to go by, this album is going to be huge. Compared to Two Door Cinema Club and Vampire Weekend, this band could be the next huge 'indie' band to take on the world.

I love this band. There's no other way to say it really. They're incredible live and on a huge tour at the moment in the UK, Europe before going back to the USA and Canada very soon, which you can find more about here. They are worth a listen, even if you're not sure because there's nothing to hate.

They're helping to fill the hole Dog Is Dead and Vampire Weekend have left inside me.




I've mentioned this band a few times already in this post. They're incredible live and the announcement of their debut album is just about sending me over the edge. Of course, I'm talking about Blaenavon.





The track on the playlist is my absolute favourite, 'My Bark Is Your Bite'. If this is anything to go by, this album will be huge. We've got a little while to wait yet, it's not being released until April but we've got tracks the now to keep us going.



When announcing the album the band released their new track 'Orthodox Man' (below) which is the albums lead single. I highly suggest you catch this band on tour, either with Sundara Karma or their own headline tour in April. You don't want to miss them.




One of my favourite tracks this year is from The Amazons. I've mentioned this band a few times and if you heard the BBC Sound of 2017 you'll know this band, as they were shortlisted. I feel like this is one of the few bands I bet BBC Introducing to and I have never been prouder.



As with most tracks mentioned on this blog, another track means another tour. This is no different. The Amazons are touring in April, in some of my absolute favourite venues (King Tut's for the Glasgow date).







My Sound of 2017 consists of 50 tracks by 20+ incredible artists. I know there are mixed feelings but for now it is on spotify, which you can find here