Friday 21 October 2016

Younger, Louder And On The Rise

In a small crowded room in Glasgow, I watched my favourite band take to the stage. The same band who I had spoken to earlier in the day, were about to play in one of the most historic music venues in the UK.

 




I have a bit of a habit finding small bands from Wales which I love. It's not at all on purpose, but it's happened three times already.



Three years ago, I wrote for the first time about a small Welsh band. The Llandudno four piece with a funny name, who at the time had no singles released. With two sparsely available EP’s and gigs with age limits of eighteen and over in my city, I had no way of being certain they were as good as I thought. Google images had 250 results for the name with only a very small amount of images being relevant. Videos of the band live usually consisted of the venue ceiling more than it did of the band themselves. BBC Introducing was the only source of radio play. The only real way to hear them was by buying their music which wasn’t possible, until June 2013. Their debut single, Homesick, was released and I knew I was on to something. Immediately I was in love. Homesick was released at midnight. My iTunes account receipt has my purchase noted at 00:01 am. Three years later, with two albums, a Brit award, sell out tours, festival headline slots, sell out arena gigs and becoming one of the fastest rising bands of 2016, Catfish and the Bottlemen aren’t a ‘small’ Welsh band any more.




Three years later, I’m watching another small Welsh band begin their rise. Younger, louder and with thicker welsh accents, Pretty Vicious are almost destined for the same arena sell out status.

September 19th, Pretty Vicious played in King Tuts. Within 4 hours of meeting them, I had turned into a voiceless wreck. I’m not wanting to give the game away, but big things are happening. The debut album is written and by the sounds of it, it’s going to be huge. I’ve got no doubt that there will be at least one UK tour next year and judging by this summer's round of festival slots, there will be plenty more in the future.





Pretty Vicious’ gig in King Tuts left me speechless, quite literally. For me, nothing will ever replace it as one of my favourite gigs. Not just as a blogger who found new faith in her writing and music choice thanks to a rowdy Glaswegian crowd but as someone who really loves music. As someone who cried when my copy of the Cave Song EP came through the door. As someone who met the band and is completely honest when I say they are some of the nicest, down to earth guys you will meet. As someone who, since age 12, has put her faith in music no one else really listened to. As someone, who is slightly scared by how young and successful they already are.


Trust me on this one. They’re ones to watch.