Wednesday 31 December 2014

My albums of the year 2014

2014 has been a huge year in the music industry and just before the year ends I decided my albums of 2014 had to be written somewhere .

Their not the most perfect albums , or not the shortest named.  A lot of them are début albums, but I prefer all of them to bands who are maybe on their fourth studio album turning out the same music year on year .



My ten albums of the year 2014

10. Royal Blood by Royal Blood

9. The Good Youth by Blitz Kids

8. Dark Days by Canterbury

7. The Days War by Lonely The Brave

 6. Cavalier Youth by You Me At Six

5. Wanted On Voyage by George Ezra

4. Clouded by  This Wildlife

3. Maybe This Place Is The Same And We're Just Changing by Real Friends

2. Asymmetry by Mallory Knox

1. The Balcony by Catfish and the Bottlemen


10. Royal Blood by Royal Blood

This band where championed by BBC Introducing and named part of the BBC Sound of 2014 . After hearing them for the first time in later 2013, I fell in love with their guitar driven choruses and grunge-blues-rock sound . 

The duo played and incredible set at Reading and Leeds festival in August , just a day after their self titled debut album was released. The crowds response said it all . Phenomenal .

 This being a début album is amazing because it shows off the bands own style and with it they may have become the new template for rock music .



9. The Good Youth by Blitz Kids


Name an album you liked when you were young ? The Good Youth . It'll be a nice thing to reminisce on for the name alone .

This album, for me, is special because this band were the support act for Mallory Knox in their headline UK tour and We the Kings when they returned to the UK in 2013 - who All Time Low have supported also . Being the support acts allowed their music to reach new audiences and straight away people seemed to fall in love with them . This album features songs like 'Sometimes' , 'Perfect' , 'Run For Cover' and my personal favourite 'On My Own' . The band are incredible and still most of the nation haven’t heard of them yet, but when more people do they might have a new obsession.

8. Dark Days by Canterbury


This album came out early last year, the 13th of January, and instantly became my album of the year. To be asked to pick an absolute favourite single from the band I wouldn't be able to respond. I adore this album for every song that is on it .

At its release in January the band looked on like proud parents looking into the foreseeable future. In October however the band announced that they were breaking up as a band which is a sad thing to hear. For the time they were a band they were incredible but that time is now over. In December the band were playing three last shows in Birmingham, Manchester and ending in London. The 19th of December was the last date in the bands calender, forever as it seems.



7. The Days War by Lonely The Brave


I adore this album mainly because I had anticipated it for so long. Its a debut for the band but is so polished and perfected. It sounds amazing and its songs easily fit in play lists with bigger bands like You Me At Six and Mallory Knox. 
  
Lonely The Brave are definitely one of my bands of next year, even if I've loved them since their set at Reading and Leeds in 2013.

(The set sounds amazing and the links below)




6. Cavalier Youth by You Me At Six


You Me At Six released this album last January and went on to become the number one album in UK that week.

Its the bands fourth album but their very first number one album and its unbelievable.

For me it misses something. Its slightly too grown up, too professional and clean sounding compared to the previous album 'Sinners Never Sleep'  which was a very angry sounding album, featuring Oli Sykes and Winston McCall. At the time of 'Sinners Never Sleep' a lot was happening with the band - ie making them annoyed/angry - and they admit it can be heard in the music, which it can. Their happier now - which is good - but it means this album sounds happier. Songs like 'Be Who You Are' would have been laughed at if they were on 'Sinners Never Sleep', or their earlier albums 'Take Off Your Colours' or 'Hold Me Down', which are other incredible albums from the band.

This album sounds amazing live whether it be in a sold out venue or at Reading and Leeds, where once again this year the band blew the crowd away - this time with an appearance from Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low.


I adore this album all the same but it seems to signify a change in You Me At Six's sound and maybe thats a good thing for some people ?


5. Wanted On Voyage by George Ezra


This year saw the emergence of George Ezra who blew audiences away with his incredible voice and sell out shows.

He was part of the BBC Sound of 2014, Itunes new artists of 2014, MTV's 'Brand New For 2014' and DSCVR's 'Ones to Watch 2014'.

His debut album 'Wanted On Voyage' showcased Ezra's voice and song writing talent. His debut album reached number one in the UK charts and went platinum in the UK.



4. Clouded by This Wildlife 

This album made it into my top five because I just love it. 

Its all acoustic, heartfelt, truthful and beautifully written. One of my favourite début albums of this year.


Its actually difficult for me to describe this album and do it justice. Its one of those albums where you listen to it and everyone’s reviews and feelings will make sense.


3. Maybe This Place Is The Same And We're Just Changing by Real Friends



This album hasn't got the easiest title in the world I'll admit but it is an incredible album. 
Maybe This Place Is The Same And We're Just Changing by Real FriendsI don't really want to write too much about this album apart from it being amazing, because I'm afraid I might spoil it for people. Some of the songs have more than one meaning and become personal to people for different reasons and I don't think I should be commenting on what each and every song is about or what it means before people listen to it for themselves and make their own interpretations of it. 


However my favourite single off it is 'To My Old Self' because it is so truthful and describes perfectly the emotions people go through. 


2. Asymmetry by Mallory Knox

In 2013 Mallory Knox released their debut album 'Signals', which seemed to rekindle British rock music and so the news of a second album a year later excited many people - including me. Asymmetry was everything I ever hoped for and more. Its developed album, picking up where 'Signals' left off but experimenting with different styles, rather than trying to prove their a good band and deserve support.
 
 
 
Its a liberation of Mallory Knox, a development, a slightly more expanded sound but still utterly incredible. Easily this album could be mixed with Signals, and unless you know both full albums, its different to tell them apart.






1. The Balcony by Catfish and the Bottlemen


If you haven’t already guessed it, my album of 2014 had to be Catfish and the Bottlemen's incredible debut album The Balcony. Since their first single was released, I've religiously put dates into calendars and alarms on my phone to remind me that another tiny piece of their incredibleness was being released. I'm that person who waited up till 00:01 to buy the single and play it 1,000 times until I fell asleep already knowing the song word for word. Call me sad if you want, obsessed even, I don't mind.

The Balcony for me is perfect. Its a debut and a lot of people say debut's are only good till the second album comes out then you realise its bad but not this album. Whether they release 1 more album or 10 more, The Balcony's never going to loose its title as one of my favourite albums. No matter what people say about it, I would defend it because unless you really love a band, unless you honestly understand them, you won't feel passionate about them.

This album for me is special because it is everything an debut album should be. Its their first chance to show off who they are, what their music is and their talent. For me this album does this all, but it also tells you alot about them, about Van especially who wrote each song. It lets you see life from his point of view, his passion for music, his strong love for people, his real life adventures displayed through lyrics.

The opening lines of Fallout, 'I pissed you off again, so that youd leave me alone in Leeds again', is true. He annoyed his manager who left him in Leeds and drove away with the rest of the band. That's the thing I love about them. No their not a typical boy band. They've got long hair, leather jackets, skinny jeans, guitars and a drummer with an afro. They are who they are.

Their a working class love affair with festival anthems and old fashioned love for music that everyone needs to rediscover. For me their my Oasis, their everything in my teenage years, they celebrate the working class people of Britain, which relates to so many more people worldwide, which I think is amazing.


Their on tour in the UK in March/April 2015 but its sold out - again - but if you do get the chance try and get to a concert. You won't regret it I promise.