Thursday 24 July 2014

In Love with .. Driver Friendly

  I first came across this band in October 2012 when their single 'Messidona' was released through Hopeless Records, who the band had just signed with. I instantly fell in love with the band and their music. Ever since I have had them on my playlists and have learned the lyrics to most of their songs.


On July 15th, just the other day, the band released their fourth album 'Unimagined Bridges.' Already this is one of my favourite albums of the year.

I just think it is amazing and from such a great, deserving band. They remind me of early Paramore, early All Time Low, We are the In Crowd but they have their own sound as well which I think is really important and maybe why I like them so much. They play a trumpet through the songs and amazingly enough, it works.

As this is the bands fourth album I decided to look back at all their previous albums and singles along with their new album to find my favourite singles. Below is my attempt at finding my favorites - although I really just love them all.

Messidona -  I love this single because it was the first single I heard by them. I kind of fell in love with it, the band and I played it a lot which kind of made it sink into my memory. The video for it shows the bands love, admiration or maybe obesession with Tom Hanks. Its worth a watch but, unless you don't like Tom Hanks of course, or people impersonating Tom Hanks in his different film roles.

The Game (This Won't Hurt) - This singles from the bands new album and I just really like the song. The start of this song puts me in mind of Snow Patrol, just for the first maybe thirty seconds or so.

Everything Gold - This songs probably one of my two favorites of this album.
Stand So Tall (featuring Dan Campbell - from The Wonder Years) - This is my other favourite from this album. I love the lyrics for this single and it features Dan Campbell from The wonder Years who are also an amzing band who I love. I just adore this song and just everything about this album really.


The music videos for this full album (except for Stand So Tall (featuring Dan Campbell) feature the album cover and the band playing various video games from Mario Kart to FIFA to NFL. These videos are such a simple concept, yet they look amazing and show off more about the band other than their interest in music.

Its been two years since I first heard Driver Friendly and I'm still in love with them.

Photo : driverfriendly.com